Short Film-Changes so far


Fragments-Changes in the Plot

So far, there have been a few changes from my original idea for my short film that have been altered/scrapped completely due to casting changes, location changes, and the realisation that they may be too tricky to shoot. 

To begin with, I decided to change the person who was playing the main charcater as I knew the originals timetable would not match up with mine. Therefore, making it difficult for us to film for long periods of time. I decided to chnage this to a male character, played by a closer friend who I know I can meet up with far easier. Because of this chnage, I decided to scrap the fight scene I originally planned for the nd if the scene and turned it into more of an escape style scene with a lot of tension through a large, isolated environment. In addition, I was planning to use the original actresses house to film in or by, so the ‘base’ that the Milan character will return to later in the film is less of a home now and more of a sanctuary/base where they can defend themselves. I am still planning to use mise-en-scĂ©ne to show how this person has a past with memories and loved ones, but the homely environment that is barren of family members will not be a part of the plot. Another reason I wanted to change this is because early in the film, there will be a very abandoned, desolate location. This, used alongside house shots would be far too different and I believe it would not be realistic enough for a ‘post apocalyptic’ world if I were to use a modern day bedroom setting for the final scenes. 

The other big change is more to the narrative and revolves around the use of flashbacks. I discovered through brainstorming that a more effective way to show the past would not be through flashbacks but instead, hallucinations. I was planning to use both, with the flashbacks showing everyday activities and chores along with subtle hints towards the impending apocalypse, alongside hallucinations of a loved one who has now passed away that the charcater is imagining and is having conversations with. I thought that having both would appear too confusing and would waste too much time away from the actual narrative in the real world. I will attempt to showcase several hallucinations with a ghostly like figure who communicates with the main character, showing an emotional connection to the past instead of just showing a variety of shots of random people and society. As well as this, I feel as if this will create more empathy toward the protagonist, relying on my ability to create a strong script with small conversations and short lines towards this mysterious figure.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Active/Passive Spectatorship

Evaluative Analysis